Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The Hours

A Resurrection (R) 2012



Directed by Steven Daldry


Starring:  Meryl Streep, Julianne Moore, Nicole Kidman, Ed Harris, Toni Collette, Claire Danes, Jeff Daniels, Stephen Dillane, Allison Janney and John C. Reilly

Here We Go:  The Hours explores the parallels between the lives of three women during different periods of time.  This movie is, in one word, exquisite.  The stories run together with such fluidity that you never feel as though you've just been cut off from a story, but rather that you're excited to see what is going to happen next.  The director hits every mark, and film quickly transforms into art.  Nicole Kidman as Virginia Woolf is engrossing, and there were several times when I forgot that I was watching Nicole Kidman and not Virginia Woolf.  And Julianne Moore as a severely depressed wife and mother is so painfully real.  It takes more than a halfhearted effort at emotional drama to impress me, because frankly, I'm not all too interested in sap.  But this movie made me a fan and I am genuinely happy that I took the time to experience this beautiful piece of work.


Bottom Line: Watch it!



No comments:

Post a Comment